Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:20:22 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMI Enterprise 1600 RAID and FBSD 4.2-STABLE

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Mike Smith wrote:
Yes, of course, Mr. Smith , I'll do it.

Yesterday, I wrote some emails to the German headquarter of
Mylex, asking for informations for eXtreme 2000 RAID controlers.
The problem I has been faced to was the fact, that Mylex' eXtreme
2000 RAID was offered and introduced since the CeBIT fair this
spring, but nobody could deliver the controler. So I got this
email from Mylex generaldistributor and one from another distributor
for Mylex products, located near Frankfurt am Main. Both told me
the same story: due to many redesigns and delivery problems of
some of the used chips Mylex was not able to keep track the focused
intriduction date and now I was said that the eXtreme RAID controllers
are now focused for mid or end of december.

Well, this is for Germany, maybe not for the U.S.!

Hope this is enough to make a "whole story" :-))

Well, my thoughts are now: when the statement of "redesigns" are
facts, how will FreeBSD come along with this or is there a so
called unified access model? Maybe a silly question of someone
who knows nothing about writing driver facilities ... but simply a
thought.

Hope this is of use ...

Oliver
:>> Well, I'm so sorry asking that much, I read the manpages of mly and
:>> amr and I got the info I wanted. Well, today I heard that the release
:>> of the Mylex eXtreme RAID has been suspended for a while, I think until
:>> end of December.
:>
:>Would you please do us all the courtesy of telling the whole story,
:>rather than some random fragments?
:>
:>Mylex have a number of products in the "eXtreme RAID" family, some of
:>which have been shipping for a year or more now.  From whence did you
:>hear this rumour, and which model(s) was it allegedly in relation to?
:>
:>--
:>... every activity meets with opposition, everyone who acts has his
:>rivals and unfortunately opponents also.  But not because people want
:>to be opponents, rather because the tasks and relationships force
:>people to take different points of view.  [Dr. Fritz Todt]
:>           V I C T O R Y   N O T   V E N G E A N C E
:>
:>
:>

-