Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 22:11:10 +0200
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dual booting current/stable on x86?

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 09:23:22PM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> How do I dual boot -current and -stable from different slices on the
> same IDE disk? (and linux too.)
>
> When I tell lilo to boot "hde3", I get the -stable boot2 and
> /boot/loader from "hde2" (ad4s2a).  I can then monkey around setting
> currdev and hints and unloading the -stable kernel & then boot
> -current, but I'd like to just pop right into -current on ad4s3a if I
> choose it.
>
> Is there a magic bullet?  I'd like to continue using lilo so that I
> can choose what OS to load via a serial console..

what is the problem w/ the following entries ?

other=/dev/hde2
        label=stable
        alias=s
        table=/dev/hde
        loader=/boot/chain.b
other=/dev/hde3
        label=current
        alias=c
        table=/dev/hde
        loader=/boot/chain.b

what is the content of /boot/loader.conf and /boot/loader.conf.local
for each FreeBSD ?

did you tryed grub which is far better than lilo :P

you could also take a look at /usr/share/examples/bootforth then
have something like :

/boot/stable.conf
currdev="disk1s2a"
rootdev="disk1s2a"