Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 18:03:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      opentrax@email.com
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   OBE - On the Brink of Exhastion!

[NOTE: even though I sent this at 4 this morning
it did not post. I think because some assinain rule
that I can't have more that 3 adresses on a "To:" line]

I'm writing this when, I shouldn't.
I need sleep, because at 11am I'm getting tickets to ISPCon.
I'll take a shower.... Yes that's better.

THE SPIN.
--------
As some of you know, I'm the president of
SVBUG (Silicon Valley BSD User Group).

<<END-BABBLE
I, I, I. In a random survey by the phone company,
the personal pronoun "I" was used 3900 times in
600 conversation. Who says the phone company does
not listen to there customers. ;-)
END-BABBLE

Later today I will push our company and plans on the
LEXs, RBOCs, and ISPs. What does that include?
For one thing as president of SVBUG, I push
*BSD (Free, Open, Net, OS-X). As a company rep.,
I pull the company line.

However, as I go from vendor to ISP to reseller, I
note one thing: The RBOCs are squeezing the little
guys. What does this mean?

Well, as I evangalize, I say to them:

"Wheter its the Big Corporations or a prostitue
squeezing your balls, there is money to be made."

Hence, I should find the Bazaar well entranched.
No that's not the case. I find rows and rows of
cheap salesmen and "Yes" men with an occasional
techguy that knows his stuff.

Yes, ISPCon, since the former days of Boardwatch,
has become a Jugglers delight and marketing man's
orgasm; next year they move to Vegas!

MOTIVATION.
-----------
So why am I bothering you?

The truth be told I have talked with VPs of the
new California ISP Association. The smaller
ISPs have realized that unless they get together,
their out of business. Yes, the squeeze is from
the RBOCs and Cable vendors on one side and
M$ on the other. They realize, as I do, that
Open Source and the *BSDs are their friends.

These people are the customers of *BSD and OS!

I didn't just talk to them, I talk to deligation
from Texas and Maryland. Their all in the
same boat. No one want to trade this Regulated
Monopoly for the last one; and they all want
a way to squeeze back.

WHY I'M WRITING
----------------
Now, why I'm writing is to call for help.
I know it's late to write and many of you
can NOT attend this show, but I know many of you
can write to me -- now.

I'm pulling the *BSD and Open Source line and
there seems to be takers. My question is - are
the *BSDs ready? Can we make the difference?

Right now we can't decide on a President, but
we can decide our own futures. Help me.
Write to me NOW! Tommorrow won't help;
Friday @ 4pm it's over. Tell me about your
local, regional, national, international
or personal *BSD points. If I turn people
toward *BSD, how are you going to help?

			best regards,
			Jessem.
			President SVBUG

PS: If you can attend ISPCON tickets are
$100, but I can get some passes.