Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:14:57 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        fullermd@keystone.westminster.edu (Matthew D. Fuller)
Cc:        kodiak@Rigel.orionsys.com, uwp@ukrv.de, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Coping Files From MS-DOS to a BSD Partitian?

Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> I've not had many, if any problems, writing to MSDOS floppies, but I've
> had tons of problems w/ the partition on the hard disk.  First, when I
> first mount it, I get a messages on the console about 'root directory not
> a multiple of cluster size', or something like that.  Then, sometime,
> when I unmount it (like just happened about 10 minutes ago), it screws up
> my BSD filesystem immesurably,  Once, it even forced my to completely
> reinstall.  So I generally don't even mount by DOS filesystem on the hard
> disk EVER!!!   I even use the readonly mask, and it still screws the BSD
> filesystem.  I haven't had any trouble with the DOS filesystem, but it
> could just be a matter of time.

If your DOS filesystem has a cluster size exceeding 16K, don't use any
FreeBSD release earlier than 2.2.  It's that simple. :-)

If you follow the rule above, the msdosfs is quite usable.  It has
various bugs, but it works reasonably well for simple operations.

> I would be VERY VERY VERY interested in hearing more about MSDOS
> filesystem support.  If my meager programming abilities could help this
> endeavor, I'd glady donate some time, but it's presently a BAD situation
> with the DOS filesystem.  Maybe in 3.0 ...?

Work on a msdosfs replacement, which can also handle VFAT, is fairly
near completion.  I've been waiting for 3.0 current to settle down
a bit, and for some free time, in order to finish it.

--
Robert Nordier