Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 02:00:24 +0900
From:      JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        horape@tinuviel.compendium.net.ar, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problem with gif tunnel: nd6_lookup: failed to add route for a neighbor

>>> Your address prefix length is incorrect..can't remember what the
>>> correct value should be off the top of my head, but it's come up
>>> before so it should be in the archives upon closer examination.
>> It looks like 128 is the "right" prefixlen. Problem is that my upstream
>> provider (Sprint) wants to use 64 as prefixlen (IMHO FBSD is ok, but it
>> seems to be the common practice to assign /64 to tunnels)

> 	you need to configure like either:
> 	# ifconfig gif0 3ffe:2900:000b:000d::1 3ffe:2900:000b:000d::2 \
> 		prefixlen 128 alias
> 	# ifconfig gif0 3ffe:2900:000b:000d::1 prefixlen 64 alias

> 	if you specify both your and peer's address, you need to set prefixlen
> 	to 128.  if you specify prefixlen to 64, the peer's address is not
> 	necessary (it will get discovered automatically).

> 	actually, the prefix length on p2p interface does not, and should not
> 	really matter.  (the separate problem is that there are multiple
> 	interpretation of p2p in the world - major ones are gated
> 	interpretation and cisco interpretation)

> 	we (as KAME) will try to improve the behavior, like non-working ones
> 	get rejected on ifconfig time or such.

Just for your information: I've rewritten the KAME-current code using
the stricter check. I believe (or hope) the latest code is much better
than before. Please see the KAME's CHANGELOG for more details.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp