Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 16:32:52 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Matthew Gilbert <agilbertm@earthlink.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE crashes - suspects new ata-driver over wd-drivers

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 10:45:01AM +0100, Søren Schmidt stood up and spoke:

> OK, here goes the VIA 686b patch, it is hand cut out from the bulk patches
> to go into 4.5 so beware :)

Well, as Matt has said, I reported a crash that he's trying to debug. Since
I have the 686b in my machine, I applied the patch. Ever since then I was
not able to reproduce the crash again, although yesterday it was so easy
that I could do it twice an hour ;-)

Anyway, you (Soren) said that the right way to fix this is a BIOS update.
Now, could it be that some mainboard manufacturers are incapabel of
handling this? I'm using the latest BIOS for my board, and according to
http://www.chaintech.com.tw/DL/7xMB/7AJA0.HTM, this should already have
been fixed in their BIOS release from 2001-04-23...

Second interesting thing: I was using a UDMA66 drive on my 686b until a few
weeks ago and never had any problems - the stuff Matt is looking at only
started two appear a short while after I exchanged that drive for a UDMA100
one. So, it seems as if probably the slower drive didn't produce a high
enough PCI workload for anything to actually happen.

This fix will probably also have some influence on a few other similar
problems (I read Matt was working on many of them). In the end I hope that
this fix - or a variation thereof - will actually go into 4.5.

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany