Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 12:51:25 PST
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        davidg@root.com, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, jdli@linux.csie.nctu.edu.tw
Subject:   Re: make world with -fomit-frame-pointer

> No, the debugging considerations are the same for the kernel, and the
> improvement from -fomit-frame-pointer is less than for average programs
> because the kernel does a lot of copying and waiting for cache misses,
> and has lots of assembler routines that don't use the frame pointer
> anyway.
>
> >   We strip the symbol table from system utilities before installing them
> >(making debugging impossible), so why do you think -fomit-frame-pointer will
> >make things any worse in this respect?
>
> The utilities are easy to reconstruct (perhaps even with full debugging
> symbols) by recompiling the sources (provided the sources and the compiler,
> etc., haven't been changed since the binaries were installed).

I talked about size of stripped/debug/non-stripped in Sys Admin last month...

Basically there's a 10x penalty for -g, and a 10% penalty not to strip.

At a mimimum, libraries should not be made with -fomit-frame-pointer.

It would be desirable not to -fomit-frame-pointer in general on utilties,
letting people know they can save about 10% by stripping...

If you strip, core dumps are useless...(at least without stripping
you have a hint of the problem).

I don't think regenerating the binaries is a viable option...its often too
difficult where a core dump can yield useful information....for any
relatively sophisticated user.

--
marty
leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com