Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:27:04 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Jun YAMASHITA <junkun@debug.gr.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, iedowse@maths.tcd.ie
Subject:   Re: USB mouse with FreeBSD 4.3 RC3

In message <20010412224115R.junkun@esys.tsukuba.ac.jp>, Jun YAMASHITA writes:

>In order to use USB mouse, I turn off PnP-OS support at the BIOS menu
>but when booting the system it seems to be frozen while probing ATA
>disks. It seems to be passed to boot sequence if I turn on PnP-OS
>support but usbd does not work with following message:No USB host
>controllers found.
>
>When I had used FreeBSD 4.2R, I could use USB mouce and had no
>problems.

This is becoming quite a common complaint with Sony hardware since
the "pcic" device was changed to use polling mode by default. The
problem is that the pccard controller seems to generate interrupts
even when it has been told not to (but only when PnP OS is "no").
When an interrupt is generated, the machine gets stuck in a loop
because none of the interrupt handlers for that interrupt line know
how to disable source of the signal.

The workaround is to specify a non-zero IRQ for the pcic device
in your kernel config. e.g.

	device	pcic0	at isa? irq 5 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000

(you can do this also via /boot/kernel.conf or the UserConfig
prompt with the command "irq pcic0 5").

Then change the BIOS PnP OS setting to "no", and both USB and pccard
should work together.

Ian