Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 2009 17:06:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, steve@ibctech.ca
Subject:   Re: Copying files without scp

Steve Bertrand wrote:
 > To copy data from one server, I normally (always) use scp.
 >
 > I'm looking for a method to perform this copy task without the overhead
 > of encryption for infrequent, high-volume transfers (hundreds to
 > thousands of GB).
 >
 > The data will be transferred server-to-server within a private datacentre.

There are quite a lot of ways to do that.

You could NFS-export then files and then use a tool to copy
them on the other box locally (tar, cpio, cpdup, whatever).

You could run an FTP server and then use one of the various
FTP mirror tools to copy the files (e.g. ports/ftp/omi).

You could use plain old rcp.

You could apply this (trivial) patch that adds support for
cipher "none" in ssh and scp:

http://www.secnetix.de/olli/FreeBSD/patches/openssh-cipher-none

The advantage of using scp (with "-c none") is that you can
use all of the ssh features, such as key authentication,
server aliases (via ~/.ssh/config) etc.  You can also use
other file copy tools (such as cpdup) that can be tunneled
through ssh.

Best regards
   Oliver

"IRIX is about as stable as a one-legged drunk with hypothermia
in a four-hundred mile per hour wind, balancing on a banana
peel on a greased cookie sheet -- when someone throws him an
elephant with bad breath and a worse temper."
        -- Ralf Hildebrandt