Date:      Tue, 6 Dec 2005 16:57:43 +0000
From:      Martin Tournoy <carpetsmoker@gmail.com>
To:        Rob Lytle <europa100@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: spontaneous reboots/ what causes these in general?

On 06/12/05, Rob Lytle <europa100@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 14:19:44 +0000
> Martin Tournoy <carpetsmoker@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > You might want to check if your power cables are all firmly and
> > properly connected, both those on the outside and inside.
> >
> > You can also try running from a live-cd, or another harddisk with
> > another installation and see if the problem still occurs, if it does,
> > you know it's a hardware problem and not software...
> >
> > Replace the power supply, maybe it's broken..
> >

> > My experience is that checking for hardware problems before software
> > problems is the fastest way to fix something like this (example: a few
> > weeks back I spent a hour getting my floppy drive to work only to
> > discover the power cable wasn't connected, DUH!)

ood one.  I am getting an error message:  (Gecko:40685) Gdk-WARNING **: gdk=
_property_get(): length value has wrapped in calculation (did you pass G_MA=
XLONG?)

> > > That's harmless.

> > > Hardware problems, generally.  Search the archives for extensive
> > > discussion.
> > >
> > > Kris
> > >

> Hi Martin,
>
> This machine is an HP zd8000 laptop, so I am kind of stuck with the
> hardware.   I went to www.zd7000forums.com and found that people are
> even having lots of problems on Windows with this laptop.  I don't
> think it has anything to do with FreeBSD.  I upgraded the BIOS to the
> latest so I will see if that stops it.  Actually, my problems are not
> big when compared to other people.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Rob Lytle
>
> --
rg"

It's probably some sort of mechanical failure, bad components, wiring,
connectors, whatever, maybe the HP site or helpdesk will shed some
light on it, although componies often tend to ignore problems like
this...

You can open your laptop, it's basicly just a "folded" computer, even
though laptop's are small, thew number of screws that keep 'em
together is huge and it can be a problem to put things back together
again properly, which screw goes where and you probably will end up
with some leftover screws to(which shoudn't be a problem)