Date:      Wed, 15 May 2019 22:52:47 -0400
From:      Matt Garber <matt.garber@gmail.com>
To:        Bill Sorenson <instructionset@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>, Mel Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>, core@freebsd.org,  hackers@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD flood of 8 breakage announcements in 3 mins.

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 10:28 PM Bill Sorenson <instructionset@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Admins attentive to security issues will already be tracking CVEs for
> > the software they use and mitigating or solving the vulnerability by al=
> > means available.
> >
> > By batching updates, FreeBSD is making administrative decisions for
> > other people's systems.  Some folks don't need to worry about schedulin=
> > downtime and will benefit from faster update availability.  Folks who
> > need to worry about scheduling downtime are already going to batch
> > updates and should be allowed to make those decisions for themselves.
> > Batched SAs help in neither case.
> >
> > Example: the ntpd CVE is more than two months old, and was rapidly fixe=
> > in ports.  I was able to switch my systems to the ports ntpd during a
> > scheduled downtime window in March instead of doing it this weekend.  S=
> > not only did I benefit from the faster update availability, I was able
> > to make my own decision about my own systems and significantly reduce m=
> > exposure.
> >
> > Don't be Microsoft. Don't sit on security updates.
>
> I'm inclined to agree with this sentiment. I can sort of understand
> holding a SA
> for a week while waiting for another SA's embargo to end but beyond that =
> think
> the patches for Security Advisories should be made available as soon as
> practical. SysAdmins need to be smart enough to plan updating strategies,
> whether they can get away with patching quarterly, monthly, weekly,
> immediately,
> etc. It depends on the systems and the circumstances. I appreciate the SO=
's
> work, but in my opinion if a patch to a CVE makes it to STABLE it should
> be in
> the patch branch within a week or so unless issues are discovered (and
> depending
> on the severity of the issue maybe it should be pushed anyway with
> caveats.)
>
> FreeBSD already makes a distinction between SAs and Errata unlike some
> other
> projects, I think that should factor into how they are delivered.
> Security Advisories should be made available quickly regardless of whethe=
> they
> are known the be exploited in the wild or we might as well just go the
> Linux
> route and call everything a 'bug fix' and not bother categorizing things
> at all.

I=E2=80=99m certainly not advocating holding on to SAs for an extended peri=
od of
time, either: if something like the ntpd fix takes a long time to roll out
on a consistent basis, maybe that=E2=80=99s rationale for the separate disc=
ussion
of further shrinking the base system (?), since what=E2=80=99s =E2=80=98bes=
t=E2=80=99 for the
majority of users in that scenario is probably getting that patched via
packages/ports in days, not weeks (or months).

However, I otherwise don=E2=80=99t find anything objectionable to releasing=
 several
ENs or SAs at once, assuming they were close in time anyway. E.g., I think
it=E2=80=99s perfectly sane to publish 4-5 advisories/notices at once on a =
Thursday
rather than one on Monday, one on Tuesday, two on Wednesday, etc.,
especially since we don=E2=80=99t yet have pkg base, and it fits the model =
of
RELEASE-pX to RELEASE-pY bundling those up.

I=E2=80=99m not sure what you meant about Linux distros not categorizing fi=
xes,
though =E2=80=94 with some notable exceptions, most of the big ones certain=
ly tag
security fixes separately, which is what allows `unattended-upgrades` on
Debian/Ubuntu based systems (and `yum-cron` on RHEL) to work so nicely
automatically as scheduled on *only* security errata, while leaving all
other types of updates alone for admin intervention.

=E2=80=94
Matt