Date:      Wed, 14 May 2014 19:45:01 -0400
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Firefox will adapt closed source DRM

On 14 May 2014 17:25, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2014 16:52:24 -0400, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> I dont have flash.  IT is a resource hog!  CPU hovers to 90%+ levels.
>> If I want to see a youtube video, I use youtube script
>>
>> https://calomel.org/youtube_wget.html
>
> I don't just see "Flash" of a way to serve (and restrict) video
> content. To be honest, I usually use youtube-dl (from ports) and
> mplayer, because it's less resource-hungry and much more comfor-
> table to use, and of course I can watch videos while being offline.
> Yes, that's hard to imagine, I know. ;-)

I manually update youtube-dl from a script,
& back it up (in case the functionality changes).
It works well for vimeo & quite a few non-HTML5
sites.

> Still for the "normal" web user, built-in video has become a
> promary demand. This is where "Flash" has been the first choice
> on the desktop,

Flash [wa|i]s a crime, & should be prosecuted as such.

> Of course, HTML 5 is an alternative. It _should_ be able to
> completely obsolete "Flash". On the other hand: Those who create
> content might want to control the content, and restrict it. So
> they demand that there's a way so they can easily do that. This
> way is usually present in the browser (either through a plugin,
> or by the browser itself).
>
> And again let me emphasize: When the user cannot see the dancing
> bunnies, it's the browser's fault.

I've started using xombrero exclusively for certain sites
(it has js whitelisting, among other lovely features).
It's really nice to be able to read news (which is text)
without having to click all those "subscribe to our
utterly useless whatever" js popups.  Even that has its
limitations, though.  It might be time to go back to
lynx & dial-up.