Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 14:31:38 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.02

Nate Williams stands accused of saying:

> Sure it will be, as long as you don't throw an interface on it.  And, if
> you do there is *NO* language/API that is consistant across platforms,
> although Java is the closest I've seen.  (When using Netscape, a Java
> applet on a Windows box looks like one on a Sun, which is like the applet on a
> FreeBSD box, etc...)  You can't do that in *any* existing language/API
> that I'm aware of.

Then you haven't used Tcl/Tk.  You can add the Macintosh to the list too, for
both.

The point here is that platform independence is a matter of sweat, not
of any inherent virtue or flaw in any given language.

If a crossplatform language is to serve its users well, it should be
relatively orthogonal, extensible, and not unduly complex.  It should
also abstract the machine interface sufficiently to be usable, without
being trapped in the smallest-subset mold.

Unfortunately, Java was the wrong language, chosen by the wrong people,
in a stiuation of considerable desperation and who-only-knows what sort
of political and financial climate.

What can be made of the sow's ear is still up in the air, but I think
most of the criticisms levelled at Java could be reworded and directed
at most other languages.  One observation worth considering is that
it's not usually the first into the marketplace to succeed, but the
first serious followup.

I don't think we've seen this followup yet.  For it to win any favour
with anyone other than the hyperbolists it's going to have to be more
than someone's pet language dressed up for the parade.