Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 15:01:31 -0500
From:      Barry Pederson <bpederson@geocities.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Snapshots in the Fast Filesystem

Kirk McKusick wrote:

> I have completed an initial implementation of snapshots for the
> fast filesystem (UFS/FFS). I have put up a tarball on
>
>         http://people.freebsd.org/~mckusick/snap.tgz
>
> I am looking for comments and feedback on these changes. I am
> proposing to put them into 5.0-current on Tuesday July 11th
> unless I get feedback indicating that folks are not happy
> with this addition. Enclosed below is the README file that
> is included in the above tarball.

> So, as you can see, this is definitely alpha-quality code.
> Much remains to be done to make it really useful in
> production systems. But, I wanted to let folks get a chance
> to try it out and start reporting bugs.

I've been fooling with this in 5.0-CURRENT, and have have found it to be
a terribly, terribly cool feature.  In trying to setup some scripts to
automatically take snapshots on a daily basis, I came up with a few
questions...

Is there (or will there be) some way to get a list of snapshots that
have been created on a filesystem?  Kirk suggests following a convention
for naming snapshot files, but if that doesn't happen for some reason,
it would be good to have some foolproof way of determining what snaps
exist.  Otherwise, I suppose you could search a filesystem for files
that -appear- to be almost as large as the filesystem itself, but that
seems kind of a kludge - and I don't know if I'd want to trust a script
to interpret those results correctly.

Since snapshots can be mounted using vn devices, I was similarly
wondering if there's a good way of determining if a particular vn device
is already configured, and if so, which particular file it's using. (man
vnconfig didn't seem to mention anything like this)

(it seems to me that if you can create and configure 'things' in the OS,
there should be some way to discover what's been created and/or how
things have been configured)

Kirk gives the example of mounting a snapshot by using a 'vn0c' device -
I was wondering if the 'c' part of those device names is significant?
Could you mount additional snapshots using 'vn0a', 'vn0b' and so on? or
should a person stick to creating and using (as I've tried and found to
work well) 'vn1c', 'vn2c', and so on?  (That may be a bit of a
newbie-unix question, but since I was asking about snapshots I thought
I'd throw it out).

Lastly, I'm curious if it's possible that snapshots will be MFC'd into
4.x at some point? or will this be a 5.0 and up only feature?

     Barry