Date:      Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:20:22 GMT
From:      Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        freebsd-eclipse@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/86860: [patch] Align java/eclipse invocation with javavmwrapper

The following reply was made to PR ports/86860; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To: Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:16:06 +0200

 On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 07:02:52PM +0300, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
 > >-PATH=${JAVA_HOME}/bin:$PATH exec "${ECLIPSE_HOME}/eclipse" $@
 > >+JAVA_VERSION="%%JAVA_VERSION%%" JAVA_OS="%%JAVA_OS%%"
 > >PATH=${JAVA_HOME}/bin:$PATH exec "${ECLIPSE_HOME}/eclipse" $@
 >
 > Why do you think this is necessary? What the eclipse executable does is
 > invoke the java executable it finds in the PATH. Since we have made sure
 > the javavmwrapper's symlink will get chosen as the default, it will
 > honour the JAVA_VERSION and JAVA_OS variables, right? Am I missing
 > something here?

 The port will pick a suitable JDK at *install* time depending on
 JAVA_VERSION and JAVA_OS in the Makefile. What your patch is about is
 the ability for the eclipse launcher to pick up a suitable JDK at *run*
 time. And you patch does this well, that is javavmwrapper will be used
 to find a JDK. Anyway, javavmwrapper will find a JDK depending on
 JAVA_HOME, JAVA_VERSION, JAVA_OS and JAVA_VENDOR (any of those which are
 defined). With my suggested changes, you still allow the launcher to let
 javavmwrapper pick a JDK but you enforce the policy of the java/eclipse
 port by restricting the choice of the JDK depending on JAVA_VERSION and
 JAVA_OS that were specified while installing the port, namely:

   JAVA_VERSION=	1.4+
   JAVA_OS=	native

 Without these changes, it is possible that Eclipse is run with a
 non-suitable JDK. For example:

 $ unset JAVA_HOME
 $ unset JAVA_VENDOR
 $ unset JAVA_OS
 $ export JAVA_PREFERRED_PORTS=JAVA_PORT_NATIVE_BSDJAVA_JDK_1_1
 $ eclipse

 --> This will have the launcher to pick java/jdk11 which is not a
 suitable JDK (as per the JAVA_VERSION variable specified in
 java/eclipse/Makefile).

 Herve