Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 15:12:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network Connection Problem

I have a number of networks that feature two freebsd boxes connected to
each other via Ethernet ports and a reversing cable. Only static routing
is used.

================================Internet

   |    ^ default route
[fbsd1]

================================Internediate Ethernet (/30)

   |    ^ default route
[fbsd2]
   |    v inside network route

================================Inside Network

When a power failure occurs, sometimes fbsd1 powers up before fbsd2 and
in so doing establishes its static route for the inside network before
it can see the fbsd2 interface.  Doing the best job it can, it selects
the default route back to the Internet.  Not good enough.

Unfortunately, the -interface flag to the route command doesn't help as
the inside network is not directly connected to the fbsd1 box.

Yes, even routed would solve the problem and yes, I could put a time
delay in fbsd1 to wait until fbsd2 comes up.  It just seems like there
should be a simple solution that I am missing.

Is there an easy way to do this?

Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
#4 ISP on C|NET, #1 in Ohio