Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:35:52 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Subject:   Re: Ion3 removal (Re: Ion3 license violation)]

> On четвер 13 грудень 2007, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> = So far one person has stated that they tried and gave
> = up.  Maybe the next person will be more successful.
>
> Absolutely right. My point, however, was that the rashed removal makes that
> hypothetical next person's job more difficult.

There was nothing rash about it.  Any lawyer will tell you that under
the threat of legal action, you remove the threat, _then_ look in to
creative ways to fix the problem.

There was not an immediate answer to hand.  As a result, Mark did the
right thing and protected the FreeBSD project from any potential legal
action until a better solution can be found.

> Any claims of license violations -- which, according to Mark, lead to the
> hasty removal -- should've been addressed by using FORBIDDEN/IGNORE instead.

Perhaps you're right.  However, I'd like to hear the opinion of a lawyer
as to whether this is acceptable or not.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com