Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:14:04 +0300
From:      Alex Kapranoff <alex@kapran.bitmcnit.bryansk.su>
To:        James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: InformationWeek Proposal, revised

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 05:41:48PM -0500, James Howard wrote:
> Below is my final draft of the proposed column for InformationWeek.  I
> have incorporated every change given.  Briefly, they are:
>
> 	Wes's split of the development paragraph
> 	Chris's plug for DaemonNews (I chose to hype his new site:)
> 	Numerous smaller changes in the final paragraph
> 	Paragraph on security stolen from www.freebsd.org/security
> 	Picked a title, "Serving the World", I want a tee-shirt with this
> 		complete with the Daemon holding the Earth
> 	Bugs introduced by the above
>
> Check it out, send me some more changes.  Otherwise, I'll send this to
> InformationWeek on Tuesday morning.

  I think it would be good to mention that FreeBSD is very good at running linux
binaries (or closed-source apps, whatever fits) via its linuxolator (sounds bad
for this type of article, but emulator sounds as if it slows ever'thing down,
so this needs polishing). I heard that some well-known UK ISP is running linux
quake-servers on FreeBSD as it does increase stability. Unfortunately I don't
remember the name :( freebsd-advocacy archives should do.

  This can finish the paragraph:
"So the range of FreeBSD software even widens with those commercial
applications which are sold(?) for Linux but work even better on FreeBSD".

> Serving the World
>
> James Howard
[skip]
> FreeBSD also supports a wide array of applications software. FreeBSD
> maintains a database of over 3000 applications which can be optionally
> installed. This database, called the Ports Collection, contains just
> enough information that with a simple ``make install'' the application
> is downloaded, configured, built, and installed without user intervention.
> The Ports Collection contains applications like the web server Apache,
> the SQL database PostgreSQL, the web application server PHP, Sun Microsystem's
> Java Development Kit, Netscape Communicator, and Corel WordPerfect.
> The Ports Collection also contains traditional UNIX add-ons including
> Emacs, Tcl/Tk, tcsh, along with modern UNIX additions such as GNOME,
> KDE, MySQL, and AbiWord. Also included are many tools translated for
> Chinese, German, Japanese, Korean, Russian, and Vietnamese speakers.
> And if that is not enough, most UNIX programs available in source
> form will compile on FreeBSD with little or no modification.

  It should go over here.

> To better coordinate information exchange with others in the security
[skip]

--
Alex Kapranoff,
2:50/383.20@fidonet,