Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:55:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        Jean-Mark Dupoux <jmdupoux@lineone.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel config parameters for soundcard - 4.4 release

midi is utterly unimplemented with the new sound code.

so putting the midi devices into the config file will generate the errors
you are getting, because the old midi code is based on 'oldbus' for want
of a better term, whereas the device structure in 4.X is based on
'newbus'.

so that stuff aint gonna compile.

i am *actively* working on merging the tanimura code into 4.5-RELEASE. i
spend 2+ hours a day on it, 5 days a week ( assuming that i take the bus
to work all week, if i drive to work, then i dont work on it that day, eh!
:-) ).

i've been thinking about making a public announcement that i was going to
tackle this, and i'd rather have waited until i had working code ( which
i am guessing is 2 months off ), but your mail seemed like a good segue.

the patches that tanimura generated in 1999 are pretty big, and so i have
been basically wading thru the code trying to understand the
relationships.

my intent is to turn the midi bits into a kld. that makes it a lot harder
in the beginning ( because the code *appears* to be implemented as
compiled in only...but i could be mistaken ), but makes development easier
in the long run because the build/try cycle is much shorter ( i usually
refer to this as 'compile, fiddle, compile'  :-) ).

streamlining the process is *very* important to me because i am doing this
on an HP 800CT laptop with a p166MMX and 80M of ram. we ain't talkin' big
iron here.....

so, the good news for you is that the 800CT has an ESS AudioDrive ISA OEM
in it, so it too makes use of the sbc bridge. so any work that i do should
be immediately available to you.

after i get it to work reliably on my laptop, i'll work on the other
hardware that i have at home, including my real live mpu-401 card.

it's important to note that i make no predictions as to when i will
finish or if i will even be successful....midi has a long sad story with
freebsd because it's *never* been finished! i've been running freebsd
since pre 1.0 and i have seen various bits of midi code thru the years.
individuals take up the cause, and then they stop, and are never heard
from again! lord knows that i have sent tanimura-san an email or two since
1999 and i have never heard bit0 from him. or her.

i *do* get lots of mail that sez 'gee, it would make me really happy if i
could use midi with freebsd'.

but the code is pretty dense, and FreeBSD kernel-hackery seems to have an
awfully steep learning curve, it's certainly kicked *my* ass more than
once.

as soon as i get something to compile, i'll post to -multimedia. then we
can go from there.....

have a nice day!

johnu