Date:      Fri, 04 Jun 1999 22:16:35 GMT
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        forrie@forrie.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NTP hardware

> On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
>> Suggestions for any supported hardware for dedicated
>> NTP functions (radio/satellite whatever) that are supported
>> under FreeBSD?
>
> On June-04 Doug White wrote:
> This isn't too well documented, but if you dig around in the xntpd source
> tree all the reference clock drivers are there.
>
> src/usr.sbin/xntpd/refclocks/

Now, Marty Cawthon of ChipChat writes:
There is a 'FreeBSD Project' to run FreeBSD as an NTP startum 1 server.

       http://www.FreeBSD.org/projects/

    Scroll down to "Device Drivers"
    then look for "High Precision Timekeeping with FreeBSD"

  This links to a web page which nicely describes a way to connect
a GPS to FreeBSD, and what to modify in the kernel to support it.

  As a result of reading this web page I ordered a GPS unit
and will turn one of my FreeBSD machines into a stratum-1 NTP source.