Date:      Tue, 03 Apr 2001 04:56:47 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Winmodems ???

Short answer: No.

Less short answer:
It isn't as simple as that. You see, WinMoDems are an effort by the modem
industry to make modems cheaper by implementing the (mo)dulation and
(dem)odulation in software rather than in hardware.
This means that each and every modem has its own "driver" that is unique to
that specific model. If somebody were to write a driver for their winmodem
under FreeBSD, FreeBSD would not suddenly support "Winmodems" because, as
stated, that driver would work for that modem only.
Due to the huge number of different winmodems and the complexity of writing
a driver for one that is of reasonable performance, I imagine that most
FreeBSD developers would much rather work on supporting new SCSI controllers
or multithreading everything for multiprocessor reasons.

Even if you choose not to use FreeBSD or Linux or whatever, I would ditch
the Winmodem ASAP. Many have flaky and unstable drivers and ALL use up a
very substantial portion of your CPU horsepower.
I recommend the 3Com Performance Pro modem which retails for around $79 and
can be had for under $50 at some websites.
If your modem is going to be used in a business environment, I would
recommend the 3Com Courier modem, the best and most over-featured modem on
the market (and the most expensive).
I purchased a Courier in 1994 and it has served me well (but has since been
retired)

Have fun