Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 23:10:09 -0400
From:      Anthony Volodkin <anthonyv@brainlink.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Filtering of PPPoE packets with ipfw

Hi,

Today, I've setup a machine that allows wireless clients to initiate
PPPoE sessions with it and thus access the internet or the other network
connected to that machine.  However, if wireless clients do not use
PPPoE and manually set their IP address/netmask/gateway, they will still
be allowed to access the resources.  Is there a way, using ipfw to allow
only the encapsulated PPPoE packets through an interface?  I can
definetly tell the difference when looking at them with tcpdump.

On another note, how do I compile ppp with DES support?  The man page
says that this is necessary for it to work with MS-CHAP v2.  I cant
figure out how to do that.

My setup involves, pppoe and ppp.  In the future i might investigate
doing this with mpd as well.

Regards,
Anthony Volodkin
http://non-standard.net/