Date:      Sun, 06 Jan 2013 18:25:25 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>, Ports FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: LLVM 3.2: official stable port is still LLVM 3.1. Basesystem missing important LLVM pieces!

--------------enigA526349AD859E1AE0F9E4874

Am 01/06/13 17:49, schrieb David Chisnall:
> On 6 Jan 2013, at 12:55, O. Hartmann wrote:
>=20
>> Having a crippled LLVM aboard AND the need having installed a port is =
>> kind of none-sense. Why should I install port devel/llvm to have a
>> working LLVM backend?
>=20
> The issue is the same as the issue for anything in the FreeBSD base sys=
tem, which is: what level of compatibility do we want to provide?
>=20
> In general, we aim to provide a backwards-compatible ABI across an enti=
re major release.  This means that anything that runs on 9.0 should work =
on 9.1 and so on.  It should also work on 10.x with the relevant compat p=
ackages installed.
>=20
> In contrast, LLVM changes the ABI (and API!) significantly between poin=
t releases.  We therefore don't want to encourage anything outside of the=
 base system to link against these libraries, because doing so would prev=
ent us from importing a new LLVM release every six months - we'd either n=
eed to ship 4 copies of LLVM by an x.3 release, or stick with the one tha=
t we shipped in x.0.

Indeed, this is a serious point and the developer of LLVM has to be
blamed for that.

>=20
> There is no problem with other base-system tools linking against the ba=
se system LLVM libraries, but in this case llvm-config does not need to b=
e installed (and neither do the LLVM headers), because such tools will be=
 built as part of the base system itself.

llvm-config is simply as an example. It shows up the first when the
build of POCL fails, so I have chossen it to be checked for as the
relevant dependency - it was a hunch for the port Makefile I intend to
provide. Since I was more focused on having POCL running for my OpenCL
moveon on FreeBSD, I wasn't very careful about choosing what to check
against. I will change this before I will send the port to be reviewed
and revised.