Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:44:17 +1300
From:      Richard B Mahoney <rbm49@student.canterbury.ac.nz>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ghostscript-6.50_2 under 4.0 Stable

Dear Mike and others,

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 06:26:18AM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Richard B Mahoney <rbm49@student.canterbury.ac.nz> types:
> >
> > This is the first time I've updated, but I would have though that
> > the update available from,
> >
> >  ftp://releng4.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/ \
> >    4.2-20010211-STABLE/
> >
> > was the most recent ports skeleton available. Am I wrong? Will I
> > now have to cvsup my ports?
>
> >From the looks of the messages in the thread, you updated your ports
> tree in such a way as to leave old patch files still in the tree. If
> that's they case, you need to rm -rf the ports tree and put in a new
> one. If you've still got the update you downloaded, you can use
> that. I would recommend doing a cvsup to get them, as that allows you
> to use cvsup to get just the changes to the tree.
>
> 	<mike

First I would like to thank all of you for giving such a lot of
help. I really depend on teTeX, Ghostscript, and co. so it is
great to receive such a good response. The problem is now solved
-- or at least I have been able to apply a quick fix.

It seems that the ports Update only writes over an existing ports
tree. It does not delete it. This explains why I had a number of
ancient patches still lying around. I will have to cvsup the
whole tree to clean things up. It seems it is not adequate just
to update it. This will take a bit of time so in the interim --
just to get things working -- I deleted the old patches (patch-ab
& patch-ad) and have had a clean `make' and `make install'.

Once again, thanks for your advise. Being a newbie really isn't
all that bad as long as people are willing to bear with one's
ignorance. 8-)

Many regards,

 Richard Mahoney

--
78 Jeffreys Rd                                      +64-3-351-5831