Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2000 22:26:01 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        David Hawkins <dhawk@ohio.river.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2 -> 3.4 upgrade, limited disk space, no cd's

On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 02:47:38PM -0700, David Hawkins wrote:
> Been trying to figure this out with no luck.
>
> I have a 3.2 FreeBSD box with a 200 MB root, 200 MB /var and 200 MB
> /usr
>
> I'd like to upgrade it to 3.4 so a friend can compile a program and
> then I'm going to wipe it clean and install 4.0 from CDs. It's on
> a DSL line, so access to the network is no problem.

Out of curiousity, why do you need to go to 3.4 just to compile
something?

> Can I cvsup and build and install sections of the /usr/src directory
> individually and then remove those and build the next section? Like
> /usr/src/bin and then /usr/src/contrib, etc.? If so, is there a
> particular order to do those in?

That would be really tricky. Then the order in which things
build is not straightforward.

> Or can I use ftp to install 3.4 over 3.2?

If you just want to install 3.4 for one compile, I would boot up a 3.4
floppy and install it over your 3.2 with the "Upgrade" option. That is
what you are planning for 4.0, right?