Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 22:36:25 +1000
From:      chris/reman <z2172268@student.unsw.edu.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>, Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>, FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: solaris is free.

Greg Lehey wrote:

> (following up in -chat)
>
> On Thursday, 13 August 1998 at  0:41:21 +1000, chris/reman wrote:
> > Nick Hibma wrote:
> >
> >> To be honest, x86 SOlaris has always been a bit a forgotten child in the
> >> Sun family. Sun likes to ship complete systems they can reliably
> >> support. Giving supports to PC weenies is not one of their favourite
> >> hobbies.
> >
> > Thats funny, because the uni. where I am at (UNSW, Sydney) the comp sci labs were
> > originally running (and still is) a mix of decstations and labtams running SunOS,
> > when they redid their workstations upstairs they bought p200's and stuck x86
> > SunOS on them, weird eh.
>
> Interesting.  I wonder if that felt more like SunOS 4 than FreeBSD

Funnily enough when I set FreeBSD up at home, I whacked Xwindows and Afterstep on it,
it looked
exactly the same except my comp was a 486 66 with 24 Mb RAM, and it was going only
slightly slower
that these beasts p200 + 64 megs, then when I upgraded to a 686 166 + 32megs woooooooo
it
flew. I can definately see why people prefer FreeBSD over SunOS or solaris

regards, chris

--
Christopher Day

E-Mail   the_reman@hotmail.com
Homepage http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/1218

when the rain/when the children reign/keep your conscience in the dark
melt the statues in the park - Fall On Me, REM