Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 21:40:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/34863: port apache13-fp broken

The following reply was made to PR ports/34863; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>
To: "FreeBSD-GNATS" <FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>,
	<barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 23:31:00 -0600

 > In general the following 7 problems are totaly due to very poor testing by
 the port maintainer.

 > 1. The frontpage security patch which was just added in the last 3 days is
 generating this error
 > message in the > httpd-error.log. The key file
 /usr/local/frontpage/version5.0/apache-fp/suidkey
 >  does not exist in frontpage().  Frontpage security patch is disabled.

 This is caused by not using the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh script to
 start the apache-fp server.  The script re-creates the suidkey each time it
 is run. This adds to the security of the FP Exts, as the key is changed each
 time the server is restarted.

 > 2. After the install is completed (ie before problem #1 came into play)
 the frontpage extentions
 > are not active, and can not be activated unless the if statments before
 and after the dso
 > loadmodule statment for the frontpage-module are commented out in
 httpd.conf.

 Again, the use of the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh script uses:

     apachectl start_FP

 Which the apachectl program converts to -DMOD_FP, when starting the apache
 server.

 > 3. The fp-install.sh script will not install frontpage extentions unless
 the two httpd-conf
 > allowoverride none statments are changed to allowoverride all before the
 fp-install.sh
 > script is run.

 The installed httpd.conf file already has the AllowOverride Directive
 changed to "AuthConfig Limit Indexes Options" for the PREFIX/www/data
 directory.  The fp_install.sh script has no problems with the httpd.conf
 file.  If you have a httpd.conf file installed from one of the other apache
 ports, then the script will fail.

 > 4. The fp-install.sh script asks for the frontpage adminstrators id and
 defaults to fpadmin.
 > Script will not accept any value typed in. Can not change the default from
 fpadmin.

 The script does accept other values for the frontpage administrator:

     :
     Installing the root web...

     Server config filename:  [/usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf]
     FrontPage Administrator's user name:  [fpadmin] newuser

     Getting User from /usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf
     Unix user name of the owner of this new web: [www]
     :

     #cat /usr/local/www/data/_vti_pvt/services.grp
     # -FrontPage-
     administrators: newuser
     authors:

 > 5. Two files are defined in the httpd.conf file but not allocated and
 cause apache not to start.
 > /usr/local/etc/apache/mine.types
 > /usr/local/etc/apache/magic

 I came across this problem today, I'll have to find out why
 mime.types.default & magic.default are not being copied to these two files.

 > 6. The frontpage web server extentions web site that allows the frontpage
 adminstrator to use a
 > web browser to control and change the frontpage enviornment is not
 configurated into httpd.conf
 > file. You can see it at /usr/local/frontpage/version5.0/admin

 The "Site Administration Pages"
 (http://servername/_vti_bin/_vti_adm/fpadmcgi.exe) are active when the
 apache13-fp port is installed, the only thing that is not activated is the
 "Server Administration Pages" (http://servername:port/fpadmcgi.exe [port >
 1023]).  These pages require the server admin to run the owsadm.exe to setup
 access to these pages.

 > 7. All frontpage user defined web sites show up as a directory tree when
 viewed from a web
 > browser instead of just the web content.

 I can't reproduce this problem.

 So the only problem I see with the apache13-fp/frontpage ports is problem 5
 mime.types and magic not being installed, and a feature request to add
 support for the "Server Administration Pages" in problem 6.

 For the feature request, I'll have to fix the fp_install.sh script
 (frontpage port) to setup the "Server Administration Pages" and to add a
 virtual host entry to httpd.conf (apache13-fp port).

 Scot