Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:34:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6727@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portmaster general questions and problems

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> Threads about portmaster and portupgrade status raise the question, what flags for portmaster are comparable to -R and -r for portupgrade?
>
> I might want to portupgrade a package and all its dependencies (-R),
> or less frequently, all packages that depend on the package to be
> portupgraded (-r).  How would I do that using portmaster?  I read both
> man pages many times.

Those look backwards to me.  It's extremely rare for me to upgrade
everything that a given port depends on (-R), but common to upgrade a
port and everything that depends on it (-r).

Anyway... as I understand the man pages:

"portmaster ..."    = "portupgrade -r ..."
"portmaster -r ..." = "portupgrade -rf ..."