Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 03:57:57 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Erin <Kahn@deadbbs.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding an IP alias without a reboot.

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 11:20:11AM -0700, Erin wrote:
> I have a production machine whos IP is going to change. I have to add
> an aliased IP to it for a while from a completely different subnet
> then by the middle of next month have everything changed over (i.e.
> defaultrouter, dns servers, etc.). I'd like to do this with out
> rebooting the machine if possable.
>
> The machine in question is a 3.3-RELEASE and is colocated with very
> limited access.

I am not sure if this works in 3.3-REL since I don't have access to a
3.3 machine or to the sources of 3.3 for now.  However, in my 4.STABLE
installation I can do:

    # ifconfig lo0 inet 10.0.0.1 alias

and the required alias is ready to use.  Then when I am bored of it:

    # ifconfig lo0 inet 10.0.0.1 -alias

and the alias is gone.  It's all in the manpage of ifconfig :)

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >