Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:45:06 -0500
From:      Michael Hernandez <sequethin@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mutt

On Feb 27, 2006, at 1:19 PM, Bill Campbell wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006, a wrote:
>> How to set SMTP server for mutt?
>> I have different POP and SMTP servers.
>
> As far as I know, mutt expects to pipe its output to a program,
> sendmail by default.  The default value in my ~/.muttrc file is:
>
> set sendmail="/usr/lib/sendmail -oem -oi"
>
> Looking at the ``man muttrc'', I didn't see any references to
> SMTP delivery.  If I didn't have a working sendmail interface, I
> would write a python or perl script that would handle the SMTP
> delivery, and pipe to that.

This really isn't a freebsd issue at all... You can ask in #mutt on
freenode or try to google for mutt smtp.
There are many ways to configure mutt to work with multiple pop and/
or imap accounts.
There are also sample configs (.muttrc files) on the mutt wiki.
Actually you should google
before you ask for help in #mutt because they'll just tell you "check
the wiki"  ;)

FWIW, I use msmtp to handle the sending of mail, it's a very small
smtp server that only functions
as a forwarder to external smtp servers (like your ISP's for
example). There are also available
docs for using msmtp with mutt, including how to set up .msmtprc
and .muttrc.

One last note, if you want to read & send your gmail with mutt/
fetchmail/msmtp you need either mutt-ng
or the latest snapshot of mutt (took me a lot of searching to figure
that out)

Good luck :)

Mike

PS http://www.mutt.org