Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:00:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        ntakpe@ffab.tide.ti.com (Jean Louis Ntakpe), dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie (David Malone), mb@imp.ch, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: move portmap(8) from /usr/sbin to /sbin

:> Sometimes we just want to nfs-mount things on the same
:> machine.
:
:Sick, poor in performance and the wrong tool for the job.
:See mount_null(8) for more details on how to do it right.
:
:>
:> One more example: I don't like /var/news so I mount locally
:> /var/news
:> to /archive/news on the same system instead of using
:> symlinks.
:> My rc.local manages it for me.
:
:Sick.  See above.

    I gotta agree, this is sick.  But to put the icing on the cake:  LOCAL
    NFS MOUNTS CAN LEAD TO LOW-MEMORY DEADLOCKS.  Even with my recent fixes
    to -current there is still a non-zero chance of this happening.

    The best way to handle a mutual-export/import situation is to
    physically mount your disks in this type of directory structure:

    machine A:	'lander'
    machine B:  'apollo'

	/lander/u1
	/lander/u2
	/lander/u3
	/apollo/u1
	/apollo/u2
	/apollo/u3

    On lander the local partitions u1, u2, and u3's mount points are
    hard mounted on /lander/u{1,2,3} and apollo's local disks are NFS
    mounted on lander in /apollo/u{1,2,3}.

    On apollo the /lander partition contains NFS mounts from lander's
    u{1,2,3} and apollo's local drives are hard mounted directoy onto
    /apollo/u{1,2,3}.

    It couldn't be simpler.  If you want standard system places to point
    to some of these partitions, you simply make the standard system places
    softlinks to the appropriate /host/partition directory.

					-Matt