Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 2003 23:52:24 -0500
From:      Jimi Thompson <jimit@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   calcru negative time error

Please cc me on all replies as I am not subscribed to the list.  The
machine in question is running FreeBSD 5.0 Stable.

Before anyone tells me to RTFM, I did read the FAQ which pointed me
to this item on the freebsd site:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/troubleshoot.html#CALCRU-NEGATIV

That web page said to enter this command (which I do not have a good
understanding of but did anyway)

# sysctl -w kern.timecounter.method=1

which I did, but apparently my 5.0 doesn't like that because it
promptly spit back:

sysctl: unknown oid 'kern.timecounter.method'

1) Is there another similar command that will do the same thing?
2) Will this stop the error messages?
3) Will this break anything else?

Since the command given doesn't work, I'm not really sure what do
next.  The web page says that if this command doesn't solve the
problem that you should "set the NTIMECOUNTER option in your kernel
to increasingly large values" but offers absolutely no information on
how to proceed to do this.

1) Will this make the errors stop?
2) Will this break anything else?
3) Where are the directions on setting the NTIMECOUNTER option?

In all honesty, I have have never tinkered with my kernel.  It works
and it is stable so I leave it alone.  I know that the calcru error
messages are pesky, but the machine doesn't seem to be having any
problems.  It's logs are normal, I ran top and that looks good,  it's
been up for months with out any apparent issues.  I'm rather tempted
just to leave it and ignore the errors.  I keep hearing my Dad's
voice "If it ain't broke....."

Any help appreciated.

--
Thanks,

Ms. Jimi Thompson, CISSP, Rev.

"Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
governed by those who are dumber." --Plato