Date:      Mon, 10 May 2010 18:36:02 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Royce Williams <royce.williams@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, kensmith@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Release 8.0 floppy images

> > As for floppies building, it was turned off intentionally starting from 8.0.
> > See http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=revision&revision=188437

I looked earlier at URL above earlier, but just
	kensmith	(CC added)
	Log Message: Turn off the building of boot floppies for amd64/i386.
No reason in there, why or URL pointer to a list discussion.

> I'm guessing that this because of resource constraints (getting
> everything to fit)?  I assume that if it was just that folks weren't
> using them, it would be easy to keep them.  A few data points:

Seconded.

Ken,
I'd suggest it would be good to commit & post a comment why removed.
It will later affect rescue capability of some older servers when
they get upgraded, (I guess many/most legacy production servers
still are 7.*, at least till 8.1 comes out).
Thanks

Cheers,
Julian
--