Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 10:39:23 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
To:        "Nick's Lists" <mrlist@noid.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic: pipeinit: cannot allocate pipe -- out of kvm -- code = 3

* Nick's Lists <mrlist@noid.org> [010504 01:40] wrote:
> Thought I'd repost this, and provide an update and see if anyone has any
> suggestions :)
>
> > After a 36 - 48hrs, the box will panic with "panic: pipeinit: cannot
> > allocate pipe -- out of kvm -- code = 3". It doesn't seem to happen during
> > periods of peak load, the last crash occurred at 3:45AM and there have
> been
> > days when the box has made it through our peak load times with no
> problems.

This happens because someone decided that it was a good idea to
implement over-commit with pipes.  Meaning that the storage required
for a pipe's buffer won't be allocated until someone actually tries
to write to it.  If the space can't be allocated the system panics.

I'm working on a fix, should be available within a day or two.

-Alfred