Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 2008 09:03:05 -0600
From:      Deb Goodkin <deb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-announce@freebsd.org
Subject:   [FreeBSD-Announce] Foundation End-of-Year Fund Raising Drive!

Dear FreeBSD Community,

The FreeBSD Foundation is kicking off our End-of-Year Fund Raising
Drive! Our goal this year is to raise over $300,000. So far we have
raised over $181,000 this year. We are little more than half way to
our goal. That’s where you come in…

Why do we need donations?

The goal of the FreeBSD Project is to provide software that may be used
for any purpose -- and without strings attached.  Our mission is to
support the FreeBSD Project and community. Our funding comes from people
like you – those who are determined to keep FreeBSD free!

How have we spent the money this year?

•    Sponsored FreeBSD related conferences like BSDCan, EuroBSDCon,
AsiaBSDCon, meetBSD, and NYCBSDCon. We also sponsored FreeBSD developer
summits in Ottawa and Cambridge.

•    Provided 22 travel grants and funding to individuals to attend
these conferences this year.

•    Provided legal support for the project on issues like understanding
the GPLv3 impact on FreeBSD, providing a privacy policy, trademark
ownership and permission, and other legal issues that come up.

•    Provided grants for projects that improve FreeBSD, like
Java binaries, Network Stack Virtualization, and Improving Hardware
Performance Counter Support.

•    Provided equipment for developers working to improve FreeBSD and
projects like the NetPerf cluster. Facilitated donation of NetApp filer,
32-core hardware, and 10 Gigabit equipment for project continuity
planning and the NetPerf Cluster.

Your financial support is critical for the FreeBSD Project. Please help
us keep FreeBSD free. Go to

http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/

to donate (any amount will help).  And thank you for your continued
support of the FreeBSD Foundation.

Thank You,

The FreeBSD Foundation