Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 1996 14:03:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      bipolar <root@IntNet.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Gene Nyland <bipolar@IntNet.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dip locks up

On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, Doug White wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Gene Nyland wrote:
>
> > When I try to install via ftp, the "dip" program locks up as soon as I
> > type "term" I've installed FreeBSD previously in this manner, but that
> > was several versions ago and I no longer have that boot floppy. It is
> > showing  "tun0" as the port? in the past it showed sio1 or cua1. I tried
> > to set either of these but no luck.. help please..
>
> Dip???  The new installs use user mode PPP.

The program may not be Dip, I presumed it was as the interface is
identical.

> At the ppp> prompt type 'show modem' and make sure everything checks out.
> Use the 'set device' command to change the serial port (/dev/cuaa0 for
> COM1, /dev/cuaa1 for COM2) and speed and so forth.  No matter what you
> select, ppp comes up on com1, so if your modem is on com2 you'll have to
> change it.

I have done it all, could there have been changes made from pre-2.x
versions that my have caused this to conflict with H/W. I don't have a com
port, I/O, or IRQ conflict. I previously installed a pre-2.x version in
this manner w/o trouble, I just don't have thing left from it. I have the
system installed now via a dos partition and a long dnld, and I can dial
out successfully, I'm just baffled about the lockup from the boot disk..
You follow me?
> If your modem is on com3 or 4, either rewire sio1 to the proper port & irq
> in -c or move your modem temporarily.

--com2
Why worry now since I have it installed? cause I frequently change OS's as
part of learning, at any one time I've got 5-6 OS's installed and don't
want to have to keep all the files around, would like to be able to do the
FTP install...
 Any other suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Gene Nyland				| My home
Internet: for now: bipolar@intnet.net	| na da
 aspiring CNE, MSCSE			|some day