Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:20:31 -0500
From:      "Zach Samuels" <wzsamuels@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Very slow boot process (from installation disk), followed by kernel panic

Hi,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD on my HP Pavilion (AMD Phenom 8650
Triple Core 2.3 GHz, Hitachi SCSI disk drive, booting from ATAPI DVD
ROM). I am booting with verbose logging turned on.  When the boot
process reaches the line "Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c" a series
of messages saying "t_delta [long number] too short/too long" appear
for several minutes.  When "/stand/sysinstall running as init on vty0"
is finally reached, more of the messages appear.  Finally, sysinstall
is started, but keyboard response is very slow.  After, a few minutes
a kernel panic occurs "spin lock held too long" and the computer
reboots.  I've seen bug reports with this sort of kernel panic, but
not during installation.

Thanks in advance,
Zach