Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:17:54 -0800
From:      Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@ethereal.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Error trying to install ports

On a p233MMX system, SCSI hard drive + zip drive + CD-rom + scanner,
ASUS mainboard.

I did a minimal install over the net of 3.0-RELEASE, and then CVS-up'd
the ports tree. When I do a make install in some (Not all, but notable
are XFree86 and ncftp3) I get:

isulki# cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86
isulki# make
"Makefile", line 64: Could not find bsd.port.pre.mk
"Makefile", line 70: Malformed conditional (${PORTOBJFORMAT} == "aout")
"Makefile", line 70: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 83: if-less endif
"Makefile", line 83: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 86: Could not find bsd.port.post.mk
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

I then used /stand/sysinstall to install in the /usr/src tree, cvsup'd
to the most recent 3.0-release, and rebooted single user. Did a make world
(just under 4 hours) and rebuilt a custom kernel with the code. Still get
it. Shouldn't ports work 'out-of-the-box'? How do I fix the problem,
and how did I cause it in the first place?

I like ports a lot, they make life a lot easier, but this is making them
all but useless to me. :( Any help you can offer would be appreciated;
I'll be installing XFree by hand momentaril, never a fun process. :)

Jamie