Date:      Fri, 09 Jul 1999 01:06:57 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        geza.fodor@usa.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: need a better solution as callback

> hi to all,
>
> i have a freebsd installed with internet connection on
> my desktop pc and on my laptop as well. because i am
> traveling a lot between two countries, i'd like to
> make followings.
>
> - laptop dials to my desktop pc
> - laptop sends some command
> - desktop hangs up and dials to local isp
> - laptop dials also to a local isp
> - desktop sends a mail to me that means it is online
> (sends an ip address as well)
> - laptop logs in
>
> is it too much? any idea?

You can do better.  Make the mgetty+sendfax port and run vgetty
instead of mgetty.  Set up your voice stuff (you'll need to copy the
vgetty example config manually) and then create a dtmf.sh script.

You can then dial your home machine on a handset, type in the correct
DTMF sequence and have your machine connect to the 'net - you don't
need to have direct dial access from your laptop :-)

Ppp happily does this if you just give it a reasonable redial period
& frequency.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>