Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 1997 23:14:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        Justen Stepka <jstepka@chaos.winternet.com>, FreeBSD-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CPU Load

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Mattias Pantzare wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Justen Stepka wrote:
>
> > Recently I added memory to my NFS server (dx4-100 now w/ 32 megs of RAM),
> > when I did this the overall system preformance increased dramiticly. The
> > problem that I noticed was that when using NFS/NIS the CPU load climbs to
> > about 4.0+, is there a special reason that this might be happening?
>
> The load value is not CPU load. It is the average number of processes
> ready to run or waiting for disk I/O to complete.

  No, it is the average number of processes that are ready-to-run.
Processes waiting for disk io (or any io) are not ready to run.

> So it is normal for a NFS server to have a high load, as it is often
> waiting for disk I/O.

  It is normal for NFS servers to have a low load, because NFS serving is
not CPU intensive, and io bound.

  A load of 4+ for a NFS server is not normal.  I would suggest
determining which processes are using CPU time.

Tom