Date:      18 Sep 2002 06:00:51 -0600
From:      Joe Warner <rootman22@attbi.com>
To:        Hans Drexler <drexler@geotax.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, advocacy@freebsd.org, GB <gbrooks@blue-mouse.com>
Subject:   Re: Answering the Questions (was Re: FreeBSD PR (long, rambling -- bear with me))

--=-D97odRG2Jt2TWkUknlPv

>We should add a few business cases.

This is key.  It would be good to get some statistics
that list who is using FreeBSD and how it's being used.

It looks like this site is still being maintained and
could be a useful tool:

http://www.bsdcounter.org/

> This market is huge, and there are a lot of firms that just don't know
> there is a good solution for them that will not cost them lots of money.

I agree with this.  A good example is software development.  Most
software companies rely on good change management/version control=20
systems.  Commercial change management software can be expensive in
both the price of the software and the hardware required to run it.
FreeBSD was born to run CVS!

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 02:31, Hans Drexler wrote:
> [...]
> of these companies, a lot of new users can be coming our way! We should
> add a few business cases. These should not be techy in style. They
> should just present a solution to some business needs that are common.
>=20
> This could lead to the development of deployment scenarios that can be
> implemented by such companies easily.
>=20
> I would be interested in thinking about these issues some more and contri=
buting
> to efforts in this direction. But english is not my native language...
>=20
> Hans Drexler
> bsd-advocacy@geotax.nl
>=20
>=20
>=20
> > On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 05:04:59PM -0500, GB wrote:
> > > Think of communicating about FreeBSD as a process rather than an even=
> > > -- handling PR, communications or whatever you want to call it as a
> > > one-shot is sort of like thinking about network security as a one-tim=
> > > event: Such efforts are largely destined to fail.
> >=20
> > OK.  So, we need some sort of process and checklist for things.  PR
> > event happens, do X, Y, and Z.  This checklist should be available as
> > part of our PR-internal web site.
> >=20
> > The following are my suggestions for answers to Greg's questions.
> > Please discuss and clarify.
> >=20
> > > Things to define include:
> > >=20
> > > * Who are our key audiences? By this I mean those most likely to adop=
> > > FreeBSD or influence the decision process. (Having said that, I
> > > recognize that focusing on potential adopters and their influencers i=
> > > just my gut instinct -- can anyone identify other groups we should be
> > > reaching out to? Standards-setting bodies? Other *nix communities? Ti=
> > > O'Reilly so he'll send us free books?)
> >=20
> > Our key audiences:
> >=20
> > 1) ISPs: ISPs have long been fans of FreeBSD
> > 2) Systems Administrators
> > 3) Security-conscious networks
> > 4) Embedded systems producers (no GPL to worry them, hurrah!)
> >=20
>=20
> > > * What makes FreeBSD different/better for the newbie? For the person
> > > with a little Linux experience under his/her belt? For the I.T. pro?
> > > And, while we're at it, what does FreeBSD suck at? (Granted, we may
> > > think it sucks at nothing, but someone is going to identify weaknesse=
> > > with the OS, and it's sound communications practice to have an answer
> > > for ever assertion likely to come up.)
> >=20
> > Better for the newbie:
> >=20
> > Better for the Linux convert:
> > --documentation: there is one true FreeBSD, none of this "this tutorial=
 only good under Purple Snot Linux" crud.
> [...]
> > --very, very debugged
> > --designed and coded by highly experienced computing professionals
> >=20
> > Places of suckage:
> > --lack of "wizards"
> >=20
> > > * What are we out in front on? Linux has a foothold in the corporate
> > > I.T. world, OpenBSD has security and NetBSD has portability. What's o=
ur
> > > niche? Related question: Out of this niche and our identified strengt=
hs,
> > > what's our "elevator story?" (The 1-2 minute spiel what says what
> > > FreeBSD is, why it's good and why it matters.)
> >=20
> > We are the "friendly BSD".
> >=20
> > Niche: Here, I'm stuck.  I use FreeBSD damn near everywhere, except my
> > crash lab.
> >=20
> > > So far, I've heard mentions of posters and some other materials. Any
> > > thoughts on how effective (if at all) any of the following might be:
> > >=20
> > > * Professionally formatted white paper comparing FreeBSD-based soluti=
ons
> > > to Windows/Linux in various situations.
> >=20
> > These would be excellent tools for systems administrators seeking to
> > use FreeBSD.
> >=20
> > > * FAQs or introductory documents directed at specific groups (again, =
> > > keep thinking of utter newbies, those who've dabbled in Linux and the
> > > I.T. professional, but there are likely other groups as well). In a
> > > perfect world, of course, everyone finds Perfect Wisdom by R-ingTFM -=
-
> > > but we don't live in a perfect world, so every bit we do to make the
> > > learning curve easier helps make inroads.
> >=20
> > These FAQs could be kept as "sub-divisions" of the current FAQ.
> > Perhaps we could somehow "tag" FAQ entries as ones that should be
> > included in a particular FAQ.
> >=20
> > > * Some standard press materials/backgrounders that the media could
> > > download, such as:
> > >=20
> > >  -- FreeBSD vs. Linux vs. Windows vs. Mac OS (a one-page table)
> > >  -- Major sites running FreeBSD
> > >  -- Uptime/reliability stats
> > > etc...
> >=20
> > Yes!
> >=20
> > =3D=3Dml
> >=20
> > --=20
> > Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org
> > http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/q/Big_Scary_Daemons
> >=20
> >            Absolute BSD:   http://www.AbsoluteBSD.com/
> >=20
> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-advocacy" in the body of the message
--=20
Extract from Official Sweepstakes Rules:

		NO PURCHASE REQUIRED TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE

To claim your prize without purchase, do the following: (a) Carefully
cut out your computer-printed name and address from upper right hand
corner of the Prize Claim Form. (b) Affix computer-printed name and
address -- with glue or cellophane tape (no staples or paper clips) --
to a 3x5 inch index card.  (c) Also cut out the "No" paragraph (lower
left hand corner of Prize Claim Form) and affix it to the 3x5 card
below your address label. (d) Then print on your 3x5 card, above your
computer-printed name and address the words "CARTER & VAN PEEL
SWEEPSTAKES" (Use all capital letters.)  (e) Finally place 3x5 card
(without bending) into a plain envelope [NOTE: do NOT use the the
Official Prize Claim and CVP Perfume Reply Envelope or you may be
disqualified], and mail to: CVP, Box 1320, Westbury, NY 11595.  Print
this address correctly.  Comply with above instructions carefully and
completely or you may be disqualified from receiving your prize.

--=-D97odRG2Jt2TWkUknlPv

--=-D97odRG2Jt2TWkUknlPv--