Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2001 07:18:59 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        question@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using ipfw's ``pipe'' to limit icmp traffic

mi@aldan.algebra.com wrote:

> Trying  to protect  our network  from  ICMP-based attacks,  I added  the
> following rules to the firewall:
>
>         pipe 1  config bw 64Kbit/s
>         add pipe 1  log icmp from any to any in via OIF
>         add allow icmp from any to any
>
>         (OIF is the Outside InterFace)
>
> The assumption is, there  is not going to be _much_  of ICMP traffic, so
> if it ever needs more than 64Kbit/s, it is an attack...
>
> This  seems to  work,  but when  I  try to  ping  something outised  the
> network, the ping  time is around 10 msec. Without  the above piping, it
> is around 0.5 msec.  It is the bandwidth, that I'm  trying to limit, not
> the minimum latency!

the pipe facility is using the kernel clock, which has a default
frequency of 100 Hz (thus the 10ms latency).

the ipfw man page suggests : "it is a good practice to run kernels with
``options HZ=1000'' to reduce the granularity to 1ms or less" (HZ=1000
should work with computers as slow as pentium-75, I'm using HZ=5000 with
P-III/450MHz)

PS : the HZ option is not documented in the LINT kernel config as it
should be

> Even  more bizarre  is  that  the ping  times  are  _higher_ when  pings
> originate from  the firewall itself,  compared to those,  that originate
> from inside the firewalled network...

USTL

> What am I doing wrong? Thanks!
>
>         -mi