Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 11:19:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Anderberg <hundra@df.lth.se>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        jomor <jomor@ahpcns.com>
Subject:   Re: fbsd current + Mylex raid (dac960) reboot after install fails

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, jomor wrote:

> Dunno about 4.0-current, but 3.3-STABLE  doesn't seem to have support for any
> RAID cards in the GENERIC kernel.  When I wanted to install to a compaq
> w/RAID, I had to build a custom kernel, gzip it and copy it to the kernel.flp
> floppy. Then after the install and B4 a reboot you need to copy the
> (unzipped) custom kernel to / since install puts in a GENERIC kernel. It
> doesn't pull the kernel from the install floppy.
>                     HTH    ...jgm

So i can just copy the boot-floppy kernel into / on the new installation
and it might work? No lilo-like stuff i have to do afterwards?  Basically
this would mean that the boot-floppy kernel and the kernel that is
installed during installation doesn't contain the same drivers even though
they are from the same date.

/Martin

> Martin Anderberg wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've been trying to install the current Fbsd 4.0 (dated 99120x) onto a
> > machine which has a Mylex AcceleRAID 250 (dac960) card on it. The
> > boot-floppies find the mylex-card and the installation seems to work out
> > great.
> >
> > When installing i've used the novice installation. When in the "Fdisk
> > Partition editor i've chosen" 'A' (for Use entire disk) followed by an
> > 'S' to make the fbsd slice bootable. Finally i pressed 'Yes' (to
> > remain cooperative with any future possible operating systems). I chose
> > to use the FreeBSD Boot Manager. When in the disklabel editor i once again
> > chose 'A' (to automagically make the partitions). The disk-geometry is set
> > manually according to settings i had on a previous linux-installation on
> > the same machine since fbsd seems to have problems detecting the
> > diskgeometry in a corect way. Disksize is 9.1 gig raid 1.
> >
> > Sofar so good.. The installation runs smoothly and i exit the installer to
> > watch the machine reboot and to see fbsd booting. Unfortunately it doesnt.
> > The bootloader appears to load fine, but when it (i'm guessing here) tries
> > to load the fbsd kernel it (the kernel?) panics. The result is a screen
> > that contains alot of debug (?) info plus a line saying 'Invalid Slice'.
> >
> > I've tried installing numerous times using different settings in fdisk /
> > disklabel editor without any success.
> >
> > I've though of 2 things (me guessing again) that could be wrong:
> >
> > 1. Geometry (it works perfectly in linux, shouldn't the same disk geometry
> > work in fbsd?) - can i manually verify this somehow?
> >
> > 2. The kernel that is installed on the hd - does it include support for
> > the raidcard? How do i verify this?
> >
> > If anyone have any clues what might be wrong, please share so i can get
> > this thing working. I hope i've included sufficient information in this
> > letter.

---------

Martin Anderberg - email: hundra@df.lth.se
If you wish to get a reciept that confirms the arrival of a message,
please include the word RECIEPT or KVITTO in the subject.

"Theirs is not to reason why, Theirs is but to do and die..."