Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 11:00:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        chad@dcfinc.com, mike@smith.net.au, don@calis.BlackSun.org, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for feedback on xl (3c905/3c905B) driver

> The flipside of this is that because we don't have the structure or
> support in place to produce formalised "heads up" documentation, the
> user community has to be willing to tolerate a certain degree of
> surprise.
>
> I'm sorry if I managed to accuse you of being thick; that wasn't part
> of the plan. 8(

This is perhaps taking up more bandwidth than it's worth.  The point =I=
was trying to make is that the Handbook and other "good practices"
documentation says if you're gonna track -stable or -current, you should
read the associated mailing list.  I did/do read -stable religiously and
yet got caught out when my monthly update killed my machine.

I think announcements on the mailing list are sufficient for "heads up",
but however this one was phrased, it didn't make it clear that the vx to
xl upgrade was not an option and that it was gonna happen as part of a
CVSup.  Nor did it say that unless you changed your kernel config file
concurrent with a kernel build after Aug 24, you'd be off the net.

I guess what I'm saying is I think adequate process is in place; we
don't need another notification method.  But this one failed (at least)
me.

As an aside, I hope this lengthy exchange opened at least one other
person's eyes before they got caught.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com chad@larsons.org chad@anasazi.com larson1@home.net