Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 02:11:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        0x1c <nick@shibumi.feralmonkey.org>
Cc:        "Harry M. Leitzell" <Harry_M_Leitzell@cmu.edu>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, The Tech-Admin Dude <geniusj@phoenix.unacom.com>, Brian Beaulieu <brian@capital-data.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Blowfish/Twofish

I don't believe so, as long as they are not just crypto algorithms.  I.e.,
I believe our DES hashing is not exportable, whereas our MD5 hashing is.
In a sense, it's all a matter of perspective on how you use an algorithm.
It's all just mathematics, right?  Sort of like you can't patent
mathematical formulas, but you can patent algorithms. :)  So SHA-1 support
for FreeBSD would be quite exportable, I'd imagine, and would probably
make a worthwhile addition.  I don't see Blowfish as a great addition
other than the interoperability concerns expressed previously.

Far more important, in my mind, is making the IPsec/IPv6 code part of the
base distribution.  If I really want your password, I'll sniff it or
trojan a binary once I have root, something that I already have to have to
get your password file in almost all cases.

On Mon, 3 May 1999, 0x1c wrote:

> On a similar note, is there any restriction on one-way hashing algorithms?
> I forget.
>
> Nick
>
> On Sat, 1 May 1999, Harry M. Leitzell wrote:
>
> > I am unaware of the restriction laws placed upon the US in terms of
> > encryption.  Could someone clarify them for me?
> >
> > 1)	If Robert were to write code on a machine that is in a foreign
> > country, would it have been considered exported?  (Xterm on a cs.hut.fi
> > machine for example to code in)  Even if he is in the US while doing so?
> >
> > 2)	Can we still do the moving by paper to another country and
> > scanning it in?  Is that legitimate or been deemed illegal?
> >
> > 3)	If I write a disk encryptor that sits on the MBR and transfer the
> > disk out of country, is that a no-no?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > On Sat, 1 May 1999, Robert Watson wrote:
> >

> > > So I'd gladly write this code, as well as do a number of other
> > > crypto-related things, but I'm inside the US.  Someone outside the US will
> > > have to take this initiative, I'm afraid.
> > >
> > > I'd recommend against using Blowfish--go for Twofish.

> > >   Robert N Watson
> > >
> > > robert@fledge.watson.org              http://www.watson.org/~robert/
> > > PGP key fingerprint: AF B5 5F FF A6 4A 79 37  ED 5F 55 E9 58 04 6A B1
> > >
> > > Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
> > > TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
> > > Safeport Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/

> > > with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message

> > 	Harry M. Leitzell - Harry_M_Leitzell@cmu.edu
> > 		Carnegie Mellon University
> > 		Finger for PGP Public Key

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message
> >

> --
> Therefore those skilled at the unorthodox are as infinite as heaven and
> earth, inexhaustible as the great rivers. -- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

  Robert N Watson