Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 18:23:58 +0800 (GMT)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@public.bta.net.cn>
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug in wd driver

Mike Smith writes:
>> I wrote a message related to this problem to freebsd-questions
>> yesterday, but upon further investigation, I have decided this is
>> a bug, not a feature.
>
>Actually, it's almost certainly a hardware fault.

Actually, the bug is that the driver does not recover gracefully from a
recoverable hardware fault.  It instead goes into an infinite loop, taking
significant pieces of the kernel with it.

>>  1. Any I/O access to the affected sectors will cause the following
>>     message:
>>
>>     wd0: interrupt timeout
>>     wd0: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 0
>
>The disk has failed to respond to the access request.   You may be able
>to recover by dd'ing zeroes over the whole partition (forcing a block
>reallocation), however the disk may be damaged beyond repair.

I repeat, any attempted access to the affected sectors locks up that
process.  Unless dd has the ability to circumvent the wd driver, I don't
see how I would be able to dd zeroes over the whole partition.

>You could use 'badsect' to isolate the sectors.  This is more effective
>than bad144 (which was a joke long ago).

Unfortunately, the sectors in question contain inodes, not data.  This
means, at the very least, that I would have to newfs the partition, and
then, if newfs in any way, shape, or form, attempted to access those sectors,
it, too, would fail.

What I will probably end up having to do is repartition around that track.
However, this seems like an unecessarily crude solution to me, considering
how minor the damage is.

	-Michael Robinson