Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:16:19 +1000 (EST)
From:      carl@bl.echidna.id.au
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   I broke my /dev tree, can't fsck /dev/ad0s2a, help?

I was upgrading 4.-RELEASE to a CVSup'd 4.1 that I sucked down
on Friday last week, and I fillowed the
instructions in the UPDATE file, but I think I made a mistake
rebuilding the devices, as when I reboot I'm getting the
error

can't fsck /dev/ad0s2a

From the shell, I can cd into /dev and see that all the ads0's are
there except ad0s2a.  My /etc/fstab has that as /, so it's kinda
odd that I can boot it at all? When I try and MAKEDEV /dev/ad0s2a
it complains that it's a read-only filesystem.

Can anyone make a suggestion for how I can get it back up?

thanks

Carl