Date:      Mon, 16 May 2011 11:23:07 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: proper use of bsd.port.options.mk

On 16 May 2011 05:18, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 May 2011, Doug Barton wrote:
>
>> I'm confused (yeah, I know, nothing new about that). From
>> ports/Mk/bsd.port.options.mk:
>>
>> # usage:
>> #
>> # =A0 =A0 =A0 .include "bsd.port.options.mk"
>> # =A0 =A0 =A0 <deal with user options>
>> # =A0 =A0 =A0 .include "bsd.port.pre.mk"
>> # =A0 =A0 =A0 <other work, including adjusting dependencies>
>> # =A0 =A0 =A0 .include "bsd.port.post.mk"
>>

>> However the ports I've looked at so far all do:
>>
>> OPTIONS=3D =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0blah
>>
>> .include <bsd.port.options.mk>
>>
>> blah
>>
>> .include <bsd.port.mk>
>> EOF
>>
>> I assume that this method works, since it seems like so many ports use i=
t.
>> Should the notes in options.mk be updated?
>
> Yes, it should be updated. =A0See examples "5.8 Simple use of OPTIONS" an=
> "5.9 Old style use of OPTIONS" in the Porter's Handbook:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefil=
e-options.html

No, because stuff is done in pre.mk which is not done in OPTIONS;
handling dependencies such as USE_BZIP2 or USE_JAVA for example.

After options processing, pre.mk is only needed if you need to do the
above, which is why it's missed out on most ports.

The Handbook part refers to 'SIMPLE' use of OPTIONS, so perhaps should
have a 'complex' use of options as well...

Chris