Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 2002 14:29:06 -0500
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
Cc:        sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kldxref

Apparently, On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:44:04PM +0100,
	Harti Brandt said words to the effect of;

> Hi,
>
> is there any chance of fixing the kldxref problem? It seems to prevent
> inter-module symbol dependencies.

What's breaking kldxref is that it reads in kld object files and tries
to read initialized variables from the data section before the files
have been relocated.  This only happens to work on other platforms, its
not part of the elf spec and not guaranteed to work at all.  The way to
fix it is that everywhere that reads in a kld and accesses the module
metadata data structures has to process the relocations first, so that
the variables get their values poked in.  This is not especially hard
to fix, its just not high on my list of fun things to do.

Jake