Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 1997 23:19:25 +0200
From:      Gaetan Feige <Gaetan@vsg.mobistar.be>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        gaetan@vsg.mobistar.be
Subject:   Pb installing 2.2 Release on a Pentium Pro Natoma chipset revision 2 mother board.

I have already installed multiple times FreeBSD on many machines.

I just got a Pentium Pro processor on a Natoma motherboard chipset. It is
impossible to install the 2.2 Release on this machine.

I also have an old Pentium 66 processor, if I switch all my cards, hard
drives, and memory to the old machine then the install goes fine.

The problem is that I systematically get this message :

	Unable to link /kernel into place

If I open the debuging window I see :

	....normal stuff
	man/man1/Xmseconfig.1.gz
	100 blocks
	pid 124 (sh), uid 0 : exited on signal 4 (core dumped)
	illegal instruction - core dumped

What does the install script do that could cause an illegal instruction &
core dump ?

I tried to install the distribution on the old system and then bring the
disks back to the new machine but this does not work, my BIOS versions are
incompatible and for the same parameters do not give the same disk space,
so the geometry seen by the boot loader is different.

Has someone any clue ?

Thank you very much

Please reply also to Gaetan@vsg.mobistar.be

Gaétan Feige
Mobistar (Mobile Phone Operator in Belgium)
Tél : +32 2 745 7913  Fax : +32 2 745 7070  Mobile : +32 95 557913
E-mail : Gaetan@vsg.mobistar.be